Saturday, April 30, 2011

Made Me Nuclear

Okay, I know that most of you know I am a nurse. I don't know if many of you know that I am an oncology nurse. I work in an outpatient clinic of a local hospital's Cancer Center. This week was ONS Congress, which happens to be a national, actually international, conference for oncology nurses. And, we were lucky enough to have it be held in Boston, MA this year. This is the first year that I had the opportunity to go. In order to make it fair to the girls in our clinic, we were allowed to go one day during the week...because it was so close we wanted to make it available to as many people as possible. So anyway, I went on Thursday, which turned out to be a great day because it was opening ceremony day and which is always very moving and inspirational.

This year the key note speaker was a cancer survivor named Charlie Lustman. He is a musician who is a cancer survivor, and he wrote a whole pop album on being a patient. He began with the phone call from the doctor to tests, and treatment, to being "cleared" to return to "normal life". It is a fun, upbeat album. As a speaker/performer he was fun and inspiring....and I urge everyone to check out his website MadeMeNuclear.com and his facebook page.

No comments: